Mask and Face Covering FAQ
For the 2020-2021 school year, CDS will mandate the use of masks or face covering campus-wide, including K-8 students, staff, and visitors. Preschool students will not be required to wear a mask, but are encouraged to do so. Students in Kindergarten through First Grade will have the option of a school-recommended hat with shield, or wearing a mask provided by their parent/guardian(s).
Face coverings are the number-one factor in being able to keep our campus open for in-person instruction this school year. According to the CDC, “the purpose of wearing cloth face coverings in public is to slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others.” With studies showing that children are often asymptomatic carriers, we have a shared responsibility to keep each other safe. If for no other reason, we have to ensure a safe environment for our students and teachers who are considered high risk or who may have family members at home who are. We are a community in more than name, and we will face this together.
Please Note: this FAQ is subject to change based on the recommendations of our Reopening Medical Taskforce.
Last Update: Monday, January 11, 2021
- Why does my child have to wear a face mask/covering?
- Are you requiring younger students in the K - 8 Program to wear masks/face coverings?
- Is Community Day School providing a mask or face covering for my child?
- Is there danger in wearing a face covering all day?
- What type of face covering should my child wear?
- What if my child/teacher is hearing impaired?
- What if my child has a medical exemption from wearing a mask?
- How long will this policy be in effect?
- How will you ensure all students are wearing their face coverings?
- My child has already had COVID-19. Why does she/he have to wear a mask or face covering?
- What is the plan for lunch/snack times, when students must remove masks to eat?
- What if my student forgets her/his mask or face covering?
- How should my child put on/remove her/his face covering?
- Can my child wear a neck gaiter or bandana as their face covering?